Before explaining anything about Firefox OS, I want to discuss few limitations of Android and iOS platforms.What Happened to Android and iOS?
You maybe wondering why a new mobile OS? Isn’t Android and iOS enough to meet our needs? The reality is there’s always room for improvement and innovation even in saturated markets like mobile operating system. There are many problems that are needed to be fixed in both operating systems. Following are few of the problems:
- Both Android and iOS are resource hungry. To have best experience with them, you need high end phone.
- High end phones are not affordable by everyone. So you can say they are designed for rich people.
- Resource hungry also means consuming more battery. They don’t have good battery life.
- Your phone is not upgradable to every new release of Android or iOS. Just because with every new release, you need a higher specs device to run it smoothly. So after few releases you are out of scene!
- Left behind on older versions means you can’t run new version of apps because they require you to upgrade to particular version of the OS.
- You are forced to download apps only from their marketplaces. Only Apple and Google are making money from this. What about network operators? What if someone like us want to build their own marketplace?